In order for us to look ahead it helps to take a look back. 2017 was a year in review for me, literally! Here at Apron Strings I had a blast on my first go-round with the Homeschool Review Crew. Our family had the opportunity to review some amazing products, awesome resources and fun activities. I asked my kids to vote for the ones they liked best. Below are our family’s 10 favorite reviews (in random order.)
- Innovator’s Tribe – Thinking Like an Engineer – my boys are loving this! Engineering is in their genes and this program gives them ‘real’ lessons such as they may be taking in future higher level courses.
- Creating a Masterpiece – this online art course is appropriately named. My children have become artists! This program is one I will be subscribing to now that my review period is over. It was exactly what I needed to bring art class into our homeschool.
- SchoolhouseTeachers.com – this website covers just about everything for every age. It’s a one-stop-shop — the subscription price is very reasonable, especially if you are schooling multiple children. No room for loads of books and materials? This is your answer!
- Drive Thru History: The Gospels – Our family has been viewing these a second time for our evening devotion time. The videography is amazing, the lessons are accurate, and fun.
- Weave Your Word in Me – The perfect thing to help create a daily habit of Bible Study and Quiet Time. My daughter created her own notebook using these workpages and study sheets.
- Heirloom Audio Productions – Reign of Terror and Captain Bayley’s Heir – We’ve listened to these while traveling, while working together in the kitchen, while sick in bed, and just for fun. The kids love them, and so do their parents!
- Abby Ludvigson’s Sex by Design Film Series – This resource for teens/twenty-somethings/parents is excellent. Abby gives us a message of purity and abstinence with a direct yet respectful and gracious manner. The workbooks for kids and for parents are a nice compliment to the videos, giving you an objective third-party to set the stage for discussion and conversation.
- High School Essay Intensive from IEW – This was one of the most practical resources we used all year. My kids are big fans of Andrew Pudewa and his quirky humor. They are challenged by his lessons and willing to push themselves to apply what they learn. I love the practical lessons my kids receive in this workshop.
- Captain Absolutely – For a little light reading, my boys enjoyed this graphic novel. I’m always happy when they pick up a book that has a good moral lesson woven throughout. All my kids give this one a thumbs up.
- Preparing Your Child for Life with An Internship for High School Credit – Apologia did a great job with this one. The perfect thing to help our teens get ready for the real world. With our 16 and 15 years olds looking to apply for part-time jobs, interships, apprenticeships, etc., this came to us at just the right time.And what about your favorites? Which posts did my readers most visit in 2017? Here’s my New Year’s Day Countdown, Apron Strings Style!
10) Snow Ice Cream Recipe – so fun and yummy! If it must snow then make some memories and enjoy!
9) Everyone Has An Apron Story – what’s your apron story?
8) Homeschool Moms: Take Time to Consider – oh, my, yes. Take time. Consider.
7) My Daughter is Having a Baby – this introduction to a guest post tugs at my heartstrings.
6) Easy DIY Denim Apron for Kids – a great way to give old blue jeans new life!
5) 10 Things I Do When Planning a New School Year – after almost 3 decades I still use these tips.
4) How to Make a LEGO Board Game – this is the time of year I’m looking for boredom busters, like this!
3) Easy to Sew Two-Sided Scarf – perfect for the beginning seamstress.
2) Camping Scavenger Hunt for Kids – my kids still love a good scavenger hunt!
Now, as a new day dawns on a new week, a new month, a new week, these words are on my mind and my heart:
Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“Therefore I hope in Him!”
I pray the Lord brings great blessings and much joy to your days in 2018!