Haaahhhhhhhh. Breathe in. Breathe out. Deep Sigh. It’s been a whirlwind December for us. Our Christmas holiday started in close on the heels of our big Thanksgiving Gathering. We’ve had memory-making visits with all our children and grandchildren. Such a blessing! But, now, I’m looking forward to the New Year. I always enjoy this last week of the year, a time to regroup, re-evaluate, and start again. Tonight my focus is on meal planning.
To streamline meal prep and planning I like to assign a theme to our supper meals. We’ve been having Mexican Monday at our house for over 20 years now. Tuesdays are Italian Night, Wednesdays are crockpot/one pot meals because we have to be finished and cleaned up before 6 to head out to our weekly Bible study.
Thursday is usually date night for hubby and me so the menu is something the kids can fix and enjoy themselves. Friday night has been pizza night for as long as I can remember and Saturday nights are often reserved for comfort foods like chili, hamburgers, homemade mac ‘n cheese, etc.
Sundays vary, but I like to have something in the crockpot or a roast in the oven so we can quickly sit down to a family feast when we arrive home after Sunday morning services. I don’t cook on Sunday nights, so the noon meal has to fill everyone up enough to hold them over until the popcorn is ready that evening.
This week’s menu follows along pretty closely with these ‘themes’ and I’m working on using up items we have in the pantry and the freezer, hoping to have a more organized start to our upcoming year.
- Breakfast – Breakfast Burritos
- Lunch – Tuna Salad Sandwiches, Apple Salad, Carrot Sticks
- Supper – Tacos
- Breakfast – Homemade Granola
- Lunch – Turkey Noodle Soup (made with the last of the Thanksgiving leftovers in freezer, including homemade broth)
- Supper – Spaghetti, Salad, Homemade Garlic Bread
- Breakfast – Baked Oatmeal
- Lunch – Quesadillas
- Supper – Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
- Breakfast – Whole Wheat Toast, Fruit
- Lunch – PBJ Sandwiches
- Supper – New Year’s Eve Taco Bar – easy for guests to build their own tacos, salads and burritos while we play games and enjoy our visit!
- Breakfast – Annual New Year’s Day Cinnamon Rolls
- Lunch – Leftovers – Let’s start off the new year by cleaning out the frig!
- Supper – pizza night
- Breakfast – Waffles
- Lunch – leftover pizza
- Supper – Reuben Sandwiches
- Breakfast – Bagels & Fruit
- Dinner – Fellowship Dinner with our church family (looking for something new and delicious take!)