Rice Krispy Treats have been an important part of life in this family, ever since I married into it. My mother-in-law makes the very best Rice Krispy Treats on the planet. Though I have never mastered making them the way she does, we do enjoy making them up once in a while. It’s a fabulous recipe for teaching the kids kitchen skills.
For a fun Valentine’s Day Treat this year we made Valentine Krispie Treat Pops. These are quick, easy and fun! You will need:
- 6 cups of crispy rice cereal
- a 10-oz pkg of marshmallows (mini or regular)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- In a large pan melt butter over low heat. We found using an extra large pot is helpful, to keep from stirring the cereal out over the top edge. Trust me, I know. My helpers sometimes get enthusiastic when it comes to stirring.
- Add marshmallows, stirring until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add cereal, a little at a time, stirring until well coated.
- Press a thin layer of mixture into heart-shape forms, add sucker sticks (or popsicle sticks), then fill rest of mold. Press firmly. (helpful tip: I lightly spray pan and little hands with cooking spray)
- Add sprinkles (everything is better with sprinkles!), pressing lightly to set.
- Serve up immediately or dress them up with ribbon and cellophane to give as gifts.
You can adapt this recipe to make the traditional bars by pressing all of mixture into a baking pan, or form into any shape that suits the season or holiday or personal whim. Enjoy!
Sharing this post at some of these wonderful places.