Every year on February 14th my children look forward to waking up to loving surprises greeting them at the breakfast table. Sometimes it’s a handwritten note or maybe a mug full of chocolate treats or a corny Valentine with some little trinket I’ve picked up along the way. This year it will be a Valentine’s Day Breakfast Parfait. It’s a sweet treat, but nutritious and filling – the perfect way to begin their day. It’s so quick and easy!
How to Build a Valentine’s Day Breakfast Parfait
You will need:
- Your favorite yogurt (I use my homemade yogurt but any brand or flavor your family enjoys will work)
- Fruit (fresh, frozen, even canned) we like berries and bananas
- Dry breakfast cereal (granola, krispy rice, etc) to give it a little extra something special
- Choose a container. A parfait dish makes a wonderful presentation, but small bowl, a tea cup or coffee mug, even a paper cup will work. Glass is nice because they can see the beautiful layers, but it isn’t required. It’s just as tasty out of a cereal bowl.
- Spoon a layer of yogurt into cup.
- Spoon a spoonful of fruit on top of yogurt. I used a few berries I still have in the freezer from our you-pick adventures last summer.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of crunchy cereal or granola.
- Repeat until container is full or you have the size serving you’d like.
- Add a little fruit and/or cereal to garnish the top.
Dress it up with a with a sweet message to suit the occasion. Serve and soak up the hugs and kisses from your little (or not-so-little) Valentine!