It can be challenging getting our days off to a good start. This easy Crunchy Granola Recipe is one way I can satisfy the healthy appetites of my hard working husband and growing children and not break the bank.
My husband has never been a fan of a heavy breakfast, but a bowl of cereal just doesn’t stay with him until the lunch hour. Most cereals are puffed full of air and really have very little nutritive value. He is up early and out the door before dark most days and keeping the cereal bin stocked with my granola ensures he gets a good start to the day and doesn’t get hungry before the lunch bell rings.
Linda’s Crunch Granola
1. In a large bowl mix together:
- 12 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 -2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 cup wheat germ (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped coconut (optional)
2. In a saucepan combine and bring to a boil:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 TBsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
3. Pour mixture over dry ingredients. Mix to coat well. Spread on greased baking sheets (I use 2 or 3 cookie sheets covered with parchment paper).
4. Bake 30 minutes at 325, stirring every 10 minutes. Do not overbake.
5. Cool, pour into large bowl breaking up the chunks.
6. Add 1-2 cups chopped dried fruit such as raisins, dried cranberries, banana chips, etc. (optional)
NOTES: This recipe is very forgiving and easily adapted to suit your taste. Add more oats if this is too sweet, double the coating mixture if you want it sweeter, change up the sweeteners using what your family prefers. The photo above shows a bowl of vanilla yogurt topped with my Cranberry/Pecan Granola.
You might also like my Breakfast Cookie Recipe I shared at Marriage, Motherhood & Missions last week. Enjoy!
Sharing this post at some of these wonderful places.